Friday, May 9, 2008

The MOM Job

In light of Mother's Day I just wanted to note that I am so grateful for my mother. What a wonderful mother she is! From baby to adult she has been a rock in my life. I know she will always be there!
Sometimes I think moms in general are critical of the job they did and are still doing. They say they maybe should have done things different. The job of mom is not easy. Now that I have children of my own I fight this battle already with questioning my decisions and frowning on my action (or reactions....ha!). I am comforted though because as I think back on my childhood I do not even remember hard times as much as I remember the love, laughs, hugs, and friendships. What a great childhood I had! I know the job my mom did (and is still doing) was not easy. But she did a good job! I heard on the radio today that the average # of hours a stay at home mom works per week is 56. If a stay at home mom were paid a salary she would make $117,000. Who knows how they came up with those numbers or if they just made them up. But I believe it! High five to all the moms!

On that note, I am so grateful to my grandmas. I love them to death! I miss them all the time! I have so many wonderful memories of going to grandma's house. I remember as a child going to one grandma's house and getting spoiled rotten and then leaving and going to the other grandma's house and getting spoiled rotten all over again. Now that I am older I still get spoiled rotten!

I am also so grateful to Jonathan's mom. What a huge impact she has had on my life! Everything wonderful about Jonathan I owe to her. He doesn't have to be a good guy, but he is and I know it is because his parents taught him to be good. They formed him and molded him. They did a good job!

Being a mom is not easy, but I think the rewards are far greater than the challenges.

3 comments:

The Clems said...

Well put! I wish I made 117,000 a year!! Wouldn't that be awesome!

Heidi said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Miriam Lusk said...

Our Mom is awesome huh! I remember her always saying that when we grew up we would do it better than she did, and I always thought she was right. Until I had Adney. And now I think... how can that be possible? She did it pretty much perfectly.