Just some thoughts I am having this morning that I thought I would post. Hopefully I do not come off as though I am preaching...and maybe there are other people out there that agree?
When it comes to getting involved about any issue - state, local, or federal- I prefer to sit on the sidelines. Really I hope someone else fights hard for what is right and that the outcome is good. Reasons for not taking a stand on issues is that I usually tell myself, "I am just one person." What difference can I really make? It is also hard because no issue is without opinions. Lets face it- even our friends don't agree with us all the time. And who wants to offend their friends?
Today I was reading Elder Dallin H. Oaks speech given at BYU-Idaho on 13 October 2009. http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/religious-freedom You should read it. The issues of OUR day are ugly. I feel like our days of doing nothing are closing and that we all have an obligation to have a voice. This quote comes to mind, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ". Yes we have the option of doing nothing- but I must say that IF we take that route we can have no complaint to the outcomes.
I am feeling encouraged about the power of public opinion. My encouragement stems from a couple of things that have happened here in my community. One of them was a prison was going to be built close by. The community was not happy about it and petitions were signed, letters were sent to our state reps and the outcome was that there was no prison built. The public does have power!
This also comes to mind- I took a Book of Mormon class and was required to write short thoughts about the scriptures. Captain Moroni is my favorite in the Book of Mormon- A man of honor. Here is what I wrote:
Reading through Alma 60 I was surprised by the direct language that Moroni used towards the government. His letter was a complaint for them not doing what they are supposed to do. In verse 6 he says "we desire to know the cause of this exceedingly great neglect". In verse 7 he asks, "Can you think to sit upon your thrones in a state of thoughtless stupor". In verse 20 he asks,"Have ye forgotten the captivity of our fathers?". In verse 29 he tells them to ,"bestir yourselves in the defence of your country".
Moroni was a good man who was always fighting to preserve FREEDOM. It sounds a lot like the arguments still going on today. I DO NOT like politics. I follow what is going on but I do not do very much to be involved. And yet I think I should be doing more. Is it not our responsibility to hold our government responsible for their actions? Is it not our responsibility to let them know when they are in the wrong?
OK I am done. I have said too much...
Friday, October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




.jpg)
3 comments:
Amen sista!
I haven't read that article but I will. I agree with you and I'm just like you! Try to keep up with what's going on but just don't give out my opinion all that much. You are right though, we all need to have more of a voice.
What a wise sister-in-law I have!!! You're awesome, and I completely agree with you. I am just like you, except I don't even keep up with politics that much. I guess that is one of my responsibilities as a citizen, though. It's just hard to know who to believe anymore. Sad, huh?
Post a Comment