Tuesday, April 8, 2008

M Russell Ballard - A Talk For ME!

M Russel Ballard gave a talk on Sunday the second session. OK so maybe it was because it was one of the talks toward the end of conference that this talk stood out in my mind. Maybe it was because the talk encouraged our husbands to step in for a day (that was nice to hear from the pulpit)! But there is one thing that he encouraged us mothers to do that I am really trying to do. That is to SLOW down and enjoy the moments. I find myself wanting us to hurry up and get to the next thing to check it off the list. This is especially true the second half of my day when I am trying to watch kids after school, cleaning, dinner and dishes, storytime, baths, the bedtime routines, and finally not feeling the peace of a completed day until the kids are asleep. I turn into a drill sergeant. So last night I slowed down and tried to live in the moment. And as a result I found myself appreciating my children more.

Last night Jonah was afraid in bed (which is starting to happen every night now). He says, "Mom I am scared. There monsters?" I assure him monsters are not real and there are no monsters. He then asks if the monsters went home. I assure him he is very safe in his bed. Usually this is enough for him to close his eyes. But sometimes it takes more attention to help him go to sleep. Last night was one of these nights. I sat down next to his bed and held his little hand. He closed his eyes and fell asleep. As I sat there holding his little hand my heart was touched. What a short time in life will Jonah's hand be so small. What a short time in life will he be reaching for me to hold is hand. What a short time in life will Jonah be 3. I have a great friend who says, "We are so busy planning for tomorrow that we forget about today". I am going to try to be BUSY living for today.

2 comments:

Dad Carlson said...

You are a wise woman, Leah, and a wonderful mother (but of course, we already that!)

This was a great talk and conference was awesome, as usual!

Miriam Lusk said...

You are amazing Leah! I enjoyed that talk too. I am glad to be graduating tomorrow so that I can focus on being a good mommy more. Coincidentally- M. Russell Ballard is speaking at commencement.